Friday, February 9, 2018

DIY Herbal Detox: Sassafras Ginger Cleanse

When I was little living on the family farm, I accompanied my dad to the woods looking for sassafras roots to make tea. I love the taste; it was delightful and also gave me more energy. After apprenticing for my part-Cherokee dad for a few years, he allowed me to go out alone gathering the source of my dearly beloved beverage.  Years later, I discovered sassafras was highly prized by Native Americans who used it for medicine and were extremely knowledgeable about combining herbs to amplify their power.

This morning medicinal is inspired by a shamanic Native healing recipe using sassafras, dandelion and wild ginger. For a wonderfully medicinal decoction, take a half cup of each and boil them in spring water. After steeping for twelve minutes, stir in honey and enjoy. It is pleasantly surprising how good the detox tastes and even more how the herbs combine to eliminate toxins from the body, chiefly the kidney and liver. After the holidays or a pagan feast times, we all imbibe and enjoy rich foods, good wine and sugary desserts. This purifying herbal blend will cleanse the organs that cleanse your body, thus aiding wellness. This detox should be used seasonally and is not intended for daily use, due to its great power.


Kitchen Witch Wisdom Quick Tip – Decoctions 101

Roots, bark and herbs with tough stems and seeds don’t really work in the method of infusing. Decocting is boiling and then evaporating by simmering slowly to produce the most concentrated liquid which is excellent in medicines. Use a coffee grinder for roots and small pieces of bark and stems to make quick work of these. I recommend the decoction method for the roots of willow, sarsaparilla, wild cherry, yohimbe, yucca, licorice, parsley, dandelion, angelica and cohosh.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment