Friday, September 3, 2021

Remedies at the Ready: Your Herbal Medicine Cabinet

I’ve found that my remedy box has grown into a cupboard over the years. I tend to study and read up on a condition and seek out the most effective and reliably recommended remedy to treat it. Most herbs, tinctures, and essential oils have more than one therapeutic use, and my knowledge has grown as a result of having some of these herbs in my cupboard. Often, the range of uses is wide; for example, lavender oil is indicated for skin conditions, respiratory and circulatory problems, nervous tension and exhaustion, coughs and colds, muscle aches, and menstrual cramps, as well as cuts. I stanched a deep cut on my toe with lavender oil recently, a new use for me, and it worked great. It’s a natural disinfectant, too! I would estimate that this cure cost me about a dime as opposed to a two-thousand-dollar trip to a crowded emergency room, with exposure to myriad viruses. It was peace of mind for pennies.

I keep a well-stocked first aid kit. Instead of expensive over-the-counter products, we use hydrogen peroxide, witch hazel, calamine lotion, aloe vera gel, and both arnica cream and calendula cream. We are ready for (almost) anything!

Creams and ointments are often expensive to buy but can be made easily at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment